st david's parish church
St David's Parish Church was built in the Victorian Gothic style in 1847 and is situated in the middle of the main street in Merthyr Tydfil. It is used for most of the main Civic Services as well as regular midweek and Sunday Services.
Service Times at St David's Parish Church
- Sunday 10.00am - Sung Eucharist
- Wednesday 10.30am - Holy Eucharist
St David's Parish Church, corner of High Street and Church Street, Merthyr Tydfil CF47 0BA
Telephone 01685 553529
St David’s Hall hire – Contact Ian Hopkins 01685 384413
St David's Parish Church stands in the centre of town on the corner of High Street and Church Street. It was built in 1847 to house the growing English-speaking congregation. St Tydfil's was the parish church at that time and was mainly Welsh-speaking. When St Tydfil's was closed to regular worship in 1971, St David's became the parish church.
St David's is a large church built in the Victorian Gothic style although the interior is mostly 20th century. The pulpit, choir and chancel areas were created in the 1930's in "traditional" style and blend in well with the Victorian pews and organ. The west end has recently been transformed into a cafe style area with armchairs and a Children's Corner stocked with toys and books.
The North Aisle is now the Dewi Gallery (an open area which is used for exhibitions) and the Prayer Chapel. This is an area set aside for smaller or less formal services such as vigils, compline or the very informal Parish Praise. Based on an original design by our Reader, Ken Lewis, the Prayer Chapel is "homemade" with several parishioners making or donating items such as an altar frontal or an altar cross. The Paschal Candle stand was given by the Bereavement Support Group of Prince Charles Hospital who hold a service at the church once a year.